Monday, February 11, 2008

Worship


So I was sitting in church while I was at home, singing loud and trying my hardest to make the words in the hymnal(yes, my church uses hymnals) become a harmonious praise to God, when I realized that it didn't feel like praise. It sort of felt, well, routine. It seemed like everyone was singing, not because they wanted God to hear them, but because it was the way we did things.

Now I don't want to start a big "Instruments in the church" debate. That's not what this is about. I'm saying that music, whether a cappella or otherwise, in worship has become a routine entertainment. Pretty sad isn't it? The words printed in hymnals and recorded by major Christian artists are being used in churches everywhere, but do we really get the message of those words?

There is a song that I'm rather fond of called "Heart of Worship." I won't quote the whole song to you, but the idea of it is this: I'm going to the base of worship. I'm making all of it about You God, not about my entertainment. The "pre-chorus" to this song goes like this:
"I'll bring you more than a song, for a song in itself is not what you have required. You search much deeper within. Through the way things appear. You're looking into my heart."

Think about those words for a second. God isn't looking for how well you can bust out some notes and follow words on a page. He wants to see that the words are printed on your heart, and that you're singing to praise Him, not because it's what your church does on Sunday or because you want to attract more people to the congregation with a big, fancy band. And again, I'm not starting an instrumental debate, but when you use that band, or choir, or piano, or organ, or even none of the above like me, do you really feel the meaning behind the songs, or do they just entertain you and wake you up enough to listen to the preacher's sermon?

Next time you're at church, or even just singing a few lines of your favorite Christian band's latest hit, think about why and what you're singing. Music can become great praise, whether there are instrument or not, and if we let it just dwindle into and entertaining routine the impact it can have will disappear. Music in worship is pointless if you don't do it with a purpose. You may as well remove it altogether, and what fun would that be?

No comments: